Although a vacant rental property can make you anxious to find a new tenant fast, taking the time to properly vet your candidates with a property management company San Antonio area owners trust, will save you time, money, and hassle. Rushing through the qualification process may lead to rent delays, property damage, and higher turnover. It can even increase your legal liability and likelihood for eviction if you’ve accepted the wrong tenant.
10 Tips for Finding Reliable Tenants:
Specialized Property Management suggests the following ten tips to help screen prospective tenants and ensure you find the right renter for your property:
1. Perform a pre-screening over the phone. Ask questions like:
a. When do you plan on moving in?
b. What is your monthly income?
c. How many people will be living in the rental?
d. What lease length are you looking for?
2. Require applications for every tenant over 18 years of age.
3. Verify tenant income. The combined income of rental applicants should be equal to at least three times the cost of rent.
4. Run a credit check. Even if credit scores are low, you can verify employment and income as well as explanations for any discrepancies.
5. Avoid applicants with evictions or judgments.
6. Verify rental history.
7. Perform a criminal background check.
8. Ask for professional references.
9. Comply with federal, state, and local laws.
10. Use the same criteria for all applicants.
If you don’t have the time or are not sure about managing the screening process, the best thing you can do is hire a trusted property management company. San Antonio landlords agree this is a worthwhile investment, and may end up saving you money. With the right company, you can rest assured that the screening process will be handled with care.
The Property Management Company San Antonio Landlords Trust
At Specialized Property Management, we know the value of a thorough tenant screening and have created an efficient process to help fill your vacant property with the right tenants. That’s why our tenant qualification process includes credit, employment, rental history, criminal, and even terrorist checks to ensure only the most reliable tenants are selected. Our leasing agents are knowledgeable and experienced in complying with all Texas Department of Real Estate codes. Our proven process is aimed at providing you the best protection for your property, and your cash flow, by accepting only the most qualified renters possible. Call us today!