No real estate rental owner is ever truly immune from the possibilities of criminal activity in or around your rental property. So what can you do to ensure that rental property stays safe? San Antonio rental property management company Specialized Property Management has five tips for keeping your property crime-free:
- Watch the Neighborhood Your Property Located.It’s a good idea to get to know the neighbors because they may have a better pulse on what’s going on and can keep an eye out for you. Join social networks like NextDoor where homeowners share information about the neighborhood’s happenings. Being observant and aware of what’s happening in the neighborhood, particularly over time, will help spot warning signs of criminal activity.
- Secure Windows and Doors. Although this seems like common sense, it’s important to reinforce these areas. Our San Antonio rental property management company suggests replacing the screws on door plates and deadbolts with a longer screw to inhibit forced entry. Windows are one of the most neglected entry points so be sure to install locks on your windows, even ones on second-story homes.
- Install Proper Lighting. Lighting can be one of the easiest ways to prevent crime. Having security lighting with motion sensors installed on the perimeter of your property can deter nefarious passers-by from trespassing. Replace burnt out bulbs immediately, especially those illuminating the front door and porch.
- Install a Security System. Although it may seem like a big investment, installing a security system is worthwhile for the safety of your tenants and property. With so many new security systems on the market, you’re sure to find one that fits within your budget. If you choose a DIY system, consider ones that are easy to install and remotely accessible via wifi or cloud-based monitoring.
- Hire a Property Manager. It can be difficult to ensure the security of your property if you live far from it, work a full-time job, or simply don’t have time to perform regular security checkups. Hiring a property manager can alleviate the burden of visiting your property so often. Having a property manager perform regular security checks on your property also lets would-be burglars know that someone is always monitoring the premises. Learn more about What Does a Property Manager Do For You?
San Antonio rental property management company Specialized Property Management has the resources and know-how to help keep your property and tenants safe. Call us today and receive the peace of mind you deserve.